[Insight-developers] Notes on Insight Telcon 15 June 2001

Paul Hughett hughett@mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:29:48 -0400

Notes on the Insight Telcon 15 June 2001:

IMPORTANT: July 5 will be the feature freeze date for the July 16 beta
release.  As of that date, updates to the repository should be limited
to bug fixes.

We should be getting a class to read raw image data pretty soon now.

CMake is now a separate module that must be downloaded from the
repository and built separately from Insight itself.  A few people
have had the time to try out the new method and have reported no
problems.  Others are requested to try it, using the instructions, and
report any problems seen with either the procedure or the
instructions.

The testing system has been renamed DART, and will also become a
separate module.

The nightly build and dashboard system has not been completely stable;
people are working on it and things should improve greatly over the
next week or two.

Developers are requested to look at the dashboard every day, so that
we can catch errors early, before they have a change to mate with
other errors and breed.

Single-platform shops are sometimes having trouble code that compiles
cleanly on their favorite platform but blossoms out in errors when the
nighly build compiles on other platforms.  Checking the continuous
build from just after the new code was submitted will often help.
Asking other people on the mailing list also works, or even asking
someone with the offending platform to look into and fix the bug for
you.  [Running your compiler with all warnings turned on might also
help sometimes.  --Editor]

Vikram spent some time looking for problems that ought to be fixed
before the beta; other people added their own items.  (1) We really
needed a raw image reader.  (2) The Doxygen modules list is very
useful for finding specific methods; we need to see that all classes
get listed there.  (3) The Getting Started document and User's Manual
will be critical.  The first needs to be updated and the second to be
written.  (4) Any examples we include with the beta release should at
least compile; we should probably add the examples to the nightly
build.  (We not want to try to execute them, since some take a long
time to run.)  (5) We should put together a getting starting page for
using Doxygen, since that is our primary source of Insight
documentation and will be essential for most new users.

Luis reminded everyone that the Doxygen modules list is defined in
Insight/Code/MainPage.dox (but should move to a documentation
directory?)  and that classes can list themselves in a module by using
the \ingroup tag in Doxygen comments.

Paul Hughett