[Insight-developers] Problems with affine MI registration

Lydia Ng lng@insightful.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:11:23 -0700

Paul, Bill:

How many iterations are you running?

In our experiments we have found that translation converges
quite quickly but a large number of iterations (10-20k) is
required for the rotation and scaling to converge.

A multi-resolution approach is needed to increase the
translation capture range.
We found that multi-resolution made little difference
to the capture range for rotation but the downsampling of the
images helps with robustness.

Conservatively, I would say the capture range for rotation
is about 5-10 degrees. Higher if the images are the same
modality.

As discussed at various times at the tcon,
there are also several parameters that can be tweaked:

- Parzen window width
Setting it to approx 0.3 seems to work if you normalized
the image intensity to mean of 0 and variance of 1

- Scaling between translation and affine matrix/rotation parameters
Values of order of 50-100 should work for 256x256 images.
Since small changes in rotation/scaling can have a large effect
we can only make small incremental changes at each iteration
Hence the large number of iterations required.

- Rotation/Scaling origin
Where the origin is set makes a big difference to the convergence.
Setting it to the center of mass or of the image should help.

Currently this is achieved by setting the origin of the PhysicalImage.
Alternatively, we could set this in the Transformation object?
Comments?

If none of the above helps, I could have a try if put your
data on a web/ftp site somewhere.

On the multiresolution front, most of the base
classes for the multiresolution framework is in the
repository. But there are still a couple of issues to sort
out.

Lydia