[Insight-developers] Problems with affine MI registration

Bill Lorensen wlorens1@nycap.rr.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:49:02 -0400

Actually, I'm starting to make progress. Chalk the problems up to a number of things...

1) Anytime you use new software and things don't work, you assume there is a bug in the software. I went down this road several times and to date have not found a bug in the itk software.

2) Originally I tried to register full resolution images. Thanks to Lydia's comments a few weeks ago, I now start with 32x32x32
volumes down from 256x256x256.

3) I started by using the Affine registration for a rigid body problem. Now I'm using the rigid transformation MI code.

4) The Rigid MI code uses quaternions. I assumed the state vector was:
angle axis position

turns out it is

axis angle position

5) The state vector reports the position in SCALED units.

I was expecting my translation to be something like 10,-15,5 and I was getting something close to .1,-.15 and .05.
I had set the TranslationScale to 100. So in fact I was getting reasonable numbers.

6) I have created a test volume that a resample with a know transformation and I'm attempting to recover that transformation.
But, I was not specifying a StartingPosition that was close to the answer. For example, if I applied a 10 degree rotation about the X axis, I was still using the default start which is a rotation about an axis of length zero.

To sum up, I'm getting closer to something I can use on a real problem.

Bill