[Insight-developers] ITK and RedHat 7.1

Paul Hughett hughett@mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Thu, 17 May 2001 11:28:48 -0400

I upgraded my RedHat 6.2 installation to 7.1 over the weekend and have
had a terrible time getting ITK to compile again (well, up to the ITK
errors that appear on the dashboard).  The following notes may make
the next person's life a little easier.

The biggest problem was that the gcc 2.95.2 compiler that I had
installed is incompatible with RH 7.1; there is a bug in the C++
runtime library that manifests under RH 7.1 but not 6.2.  To make life
really interesting, this bug also prevents gcc 2.95.2 from recompiling
itself under RH 7.1.

The gcc 2.96 that comes with RH 7.1 successfully compiles ITK, but
takes 47 minutes to do it.  This compiler has been deprecated by the
gcc developers as an unsupported, experimental release.

The gcc 2.95.3 is a supported release and successfully compiles ITK
in about 28 minutes.  On RH 7.1, it can be compiled from source by
gcc 2.96 but not by gcc 2.95.2.

Given the difference in performance and support, I'm inclined to use
2.95.3 pending any further information.

Paul Hughett