[Insight-developers] Compiling itk on OSX

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:04:15 -0400

The VXLNumerics code has a series of header files that define things differently depending on the
compiler selected/OS.  You could look at files like vcl_config.h vcl_compiler.h etc. (Just guessing
at the names right now).

We have never built on an OSX machine so I am sure these header files are not correct for your
system.

Does your compiler have a demangler? This would translate the link errors to class method names.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Harald Kaspersen [mailto:Jon.H.Kaspersen@unimed.sintef.no]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 5:28 AM
To: insight-developers@public.kitware.com
Cc: Jon.H.Kaspersen@unimed.sintef.no
Subject: [Insight-developers] Compiling itk on OSX

Hi,

My name is Jon Harald Kaspersen.  I am working with 3D Ultrasound
visualization, and have been using VTK for about six months now (on OSX
with Python wrapping, compiled by Yves Starrveld).  My group (SINTEF
Unimed, Ultrasound division - look at www.us.unimed.sintef.no) is also
working with segmentation and registration.  So compiling itk on OSX
would be the ultimate solution for us.
So, I downloaded itk yesterday and tried to compile it.
Here is my experience with itk so far :

First I did run cmake. (Let me clearify that I am an Apple Select
member, so I do run OS X - ver. 10.1 seed 5G48).
I had to make some small changes to the CMakeCache.txt file (mainly
correcting the compiler flags).  I have not enabled building of shared
libs (not before I can get itk to build with static libs).
I then did run make.  The first problem is the incompatibility between
itkDynamicLoader.cxx and OSX, which is connected to the fact that there
is no dlfnc.h file on OSX.  So, I corrected the itkDynamicLoader.cxx
(used the ideas in vtkDynamicLoader.cxx to modify it to be OSX
compatible).  Invoked make again.
The next problem I did run into was what I think is a typo in line 129
in itkFileOutputWindow.h, changed line 129 to  std::ostream *m_Stream;
Invoked make again.
No problems until linking of itkAmoebaOptimizerTest.  I get an error
telling me that there is some undefined symbols not resolvable by the
linker.  The command line input and error is referred below as :
[cubekar:Testing/Code/Numerics] jonk% c++ -g -O2 -no-cpp-precomp
itkAmoebaOptimizerTest.o -L/Users/jonk/vtkcvs/Insight/bin/ -lpthread
-lVXLNumerics -lm -lITKCommon -lpthread -lVXLNumerics -lm -lITKCommon
-lzlib -o /Users/jonk/vtkcvs/Insight/bin/itkAmoebaOptimizerTest
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
___as__t10vnl_vector1ZdRCB0
___t10vnl_vector1ZdRCB0
___t10vnl_vector1ZdRCB0dG11vnl_tag_mul
___t10vnl_vector1ZdRCB0n1G11vnl_tag_add
_vnl_c_vector_two_norm_squared__H2ZdZd_PCX01UiPX11_v

Do you (some of you insight developers have an idea on which action to
take further to get rid of this error ??

Regards
Jon