[Insight-developers] error compiling ITK

Luis Ibanez ibanez@cs.unc.edu
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:10:48 -0400

Hi Miguel,

> The firts problem that I see is that commenting off de directory
> Testing/ compilation we get to compile it but we don't have any binary
> file to call.

Well, that's Ok,
in principle ITK does not provide any binary
that you can execute.

ITK as any other toolkit, gives you a layer of
classes for simplifying your work when you build
an application. So what you get is a a set of
libraries and a set of header files.

Of course most of us like to see something running
when we download a toolkit, particularly if it took
more than an hour for downloading and building  :-)

The programs in /Testing are basically a mechanism
for debugging and quality assurance, but most of
these short programs don't do anything different
than testing call to the methods in a particular
class. So, even if you succed building them,
running them is not very exiting  :)

You may be interested in trying some of the programs
in the /Examples directory. In fact, if you are looking
forward to write real applications using ITK, these
programs are a better path to follow than the ones in
/Testing.

Some of them require that you download another toolkit
for GUI support. If you are running Linux, you probably
already have it installed, it is FLTK, you can download
the sources (and RPM's with binaries also) from
http://www.fltk.org.   FLTK is completly independent of
ITK and is used by the example only to provide GUI support.

If you want to try this, you have to go back to CMake and
activate the build for /Examples and for /Unsupported.

We'll be happy to help if you have trouble making it work.

Luis Ibanez                                      CB#:   7060
Research Assistan Professor                      phone: (919) 843 5436
Division of Neurosurgery                         fax:   (919) 966 6627
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill      email:
ibanez@cs.unc.edu
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7060
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~ibanez