[Insight-developers] Intermittent crashes on Solaris and Mac

Bill Lorensen wlorens1 at nycap . rr . com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:28:30 -0400

I think we've fixed the intermittent crash problem that was occurring in some tests that used readers.

The problem was in IO/itkConvertPixelBuffer::ConvertRGBToGray. I think it must be a compiler error. I rewrote the input buffer access and the problem is gone on the Solaris system. We'll see how the Mac does the next time an experimental is submitted.

For some reason, this routine was trashing the heap and programs would subsequently crash somewhere unrelated. It took a while to find but Jim and I isolated the problem to one statement in the method. Once it was rewritten, the problem went away. I have rewritten all similar code in that file but have not checked it in yet.

I used the Solaris watchpoint facility to track it down.

Bill