[Insight-developers] Tests reworked

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman@kitware.com
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:23:11 -0500

At 02:14 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, Lorensen, William E (CRD) wrote:
>New framewrok works great. Loads a lot faster.

Thanks.

>I'm still concerned about the build times though. If I change one file in Common, I have to build
>every test in a directory. I'm sure we can come up with something to improve this.

I am not sure how this is different than any other c++ program.
If you change a header file, then all the files that use that header file
have to be recompiled.   With the new approach there is only one link
step, and with the old approach there was a link per test.  So,
it should be faster to build now.

>Also, one compile
>error could kill the whole test suite (ala vtk).
>The real test will be if we see less checked in errors since building tests and running tests is less
>of a resource hog.

Time will tell....

>Also, have you looked to see if we can just build one active configuration? I still have problems
>with vc++ swithcing my default sometimes.

I have looked at it.   With the new .NET, there is a cmake option that
can be changed when you run cmake.   With the msdev version, all
the configurations are stored in the CMake/Templates directory.
It is hard to conditionally remove configurations from the templates.
You can however, create local copies of the template files
and edit out the configurations that you do not want.

If you add this to your cache or Local cmake file:
MSPROJECT_TEMPLATE_DIRECTORY=path/to/short-templates

It will cause cmake to use a different template directory.

You will want these files: CMake/Templates/
DLLFooter.dsptemplate  EXEHeader.dsptemplate      UtilityHeader.dsptemplate
DLLHeader.dsptemplate  EXEWinHeader.dsptemplate   staticLibFooter.dsptemplate
EXEFooter.dsptemplate  UtilityFooter.dsptemplate  staticLibHeader.dsptemplate

-Bill