[Insight-developers] Legal issues

Mark Foskey mark_foskey@unc.edu
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:04:48 -0400

In our discussion of the licensing issues, it seemed to me that the
reason we need this is that we want to avoid the possibility of certain
bad things happening, and it seemed further that we should keep track
of what bad things we want to avoid.  This may play into what questions
people need to ask the various lawyers.

Here is a list of *candidate* concerns.  I do not claim that all of
them are ones we need to worry about, but they seem to be ones that
have arisen as potential concerns.

1. One of the member institutions may try to lay claim to some
component of itk, or some aspect of the coders' time, that would
inhibit further development.

2. We would have no mechanism to get credit for the use to which itk is
being put.  (Or perhaps the concern is that itk as a system wouldn't
get credit.)

3. Others may fork off their own version of itk.  (I don't think this
can be prevented anyway, if somebody wants to do it.  But I don't think
it'll happen.)

4. Some of us may get sued for itk somehow.