[Insight-developers] RE: ImageViewer and GLUT

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:57:48 -0400

Hi Jim,

Trying to find a minimal procedure for installing GLUT on windows.
The following seems to be the most official binary distribution

http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glut/index.html#windows

Under:    glutdlls37beta.zip

The alternative seems to be

     http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

Which in fact is more recent and don't have the "beta" mention.

The .zip file in both cases contains:

   glut.dll
   glut.lib
   glut.h

Unfortunately in the ZIP file, glut.h is not inside a "GL"
directory as the FindGLUT.cmake file expect it to be.
In fact every program expects   glut.h    to be inside
a "GL" directory.

We can add a "GLUT_INSTALL_DIR" to the FindGLUT.cmake, but
still users will have to create a GL directory and move
glut.h there.

----

In any case, the official instructions for glut installation
require the user to copy the files in the following way:

      glut32.dll to %WinDir%\System,
      glut32.lib to $(MSDevDir)\..\..\VC98\lib, and
      glut.h     to $(MSDevDir)\..\..\VC98\include\GL.

( It starts looking painfully similar to FLTK issues... )

Given that this is just three files and that it is actually
the installation procedure recommended by GLUT people I will
vote for letting the user install glut inside VisualStudio,
and let FindGLUT.cmake search inside these expected directories.

This will requires to make some changes on FingGLUT.cmake
anyway.