[Insight-developers] InsightApplications: Collision between VTK and ITK Dicom?

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa . edu
30 Dec 2003 11:04:24 -0600

On Linux RH9, gcc 3.3.2. Current CVS ITK, VTK CVS tag VTK4.

There's an InsightApplication called SNAP; if I try and build it, there
are collisions between libvtkDICOMParser.a and libITKDICOMParser.a.
Here's an example (paths edited for conciseness):

libITKDICOMParser.a(DICOMParser.o)(.text+0x0): In function
`DICOMParser::DICOMParser[not-in-charge]()':
Insight/Utilities/DICOMParser/DICOMParser.cxx:88: multiple definition of
`DICOMParser::DICOMParser[not-in-charge]()'
libvtkDICOMParser.a(DICOMParser.o)(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol
`DICOMParser::DICOMParser[not-in-charge]()' changed from 294 to 1022 in
libITKDICOMParser.a(DICOMParser.o)

Normally, if all the symbols are satisfied by one version of the
library, the second library won't get loaded. Apparently in this case,
there are symbols in the VTK version of DICOMParser that are required
that don't exist in the ITK version.

This isn't a showstopper for me, just something I noticed.