[Insight-developers] MS compiler

Ross Whitaker whitaker@cs.utah.edu
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:43:56 -0700

Forwarded from a student in our group...

"Microsoft has a new Visual Studio that supports an ISO/ANSI compliant
C++ compiler.  The official release is Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual
Studio 7.1.  It is currently in "final beta", not exactly sure what this
means but I am told it is basically the release version, which is due out
in a few months. Those of you who have used visual studio know what a
pain it is to port code to windows :(  As far as I can tell that should be
fixed now. I have tried the compiler on a bunch of my trouble spots and
found that it performs as expected.  This includes subtle C++ tricks like
partial template specialization, not to metion a real implementation of
the C++ stdlib (std template lib).  The school of computing has an MSDN
subscription which provides the install for this version of Visual Studio,
you can send email to support if you want to acquire it.  I also have a
copy of the install, which you can get from me.  Naturally, you run a risk
that something could be broken with a "beta" release, but I think that the
older compilers are broken anyway, still, use at your own risk.  You can
have this version co-exist with older versions of Visual Studio, including
.NET 2002 (or whatever it's called). "

Ross

Ross T. Whitaker, Assistant Professor
50 S. Central Campus Drive, Rm. 3190