[Insight-developers] Is there a definitive list of File type suffixes?

Holmes, David R., Ph.D. Holmes.David3@mayo.edu
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:20:14 -0600

Regarding the Analyze format, there are unfortunately several file extentions depending on what you might be looking for.  They are as follows:

.hdr and .img -- This is the Analyze 7.5 file format.  The .hdr and .img files have the same file name where the hdr is the header info and the img is the raw data.

.avw -- This is one of the unofficial extensions sometimes used with the AnalyzeAVW format.  It's similar to the 7.5 format, but the header and image data is in the same file.

.obj -- This is the extension for the object map file.  It's the ROI file that is sometimes associated with a data volume.

.vol -- Not that this is particularly important, but I thought that I'd mention that Analyze does have a .vol extention file.  It is simply a text file listing individual 2D slices on disc that can be loaded as a 3D volume.

Thanks

david

p.s. - if anyone is interested in the AnalyzeAVW format, let me know.  I can either write the filter for it or provide someone with the details about the filter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Ibanez [mailto:luis.ibanez@kitware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 9:18 AM
To: Kent Williams
Cc: Insight Developers List
Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] Is there a definitive list of File type suffixes?

Hi Kent,

That's good point,

We don't have a centralized list of file extensions.
They are buried now in the code of each ImageIO.

Let's try to reconstruct the list here:

1) .mhd  = MetaImage single file
2) .mha  = MetaImage (header + raw) 2 files
3) .vtk  = VTK format
4) .gipl = GIPL
5) .raw  = RAW format (I suggest we deprecate this one...)
6)  ???  = VOL
7)  ???  = Analyze
8) .png  = PNG format
9) .pgm  = PGM format (to be converted in an ImageIO class)

10)   other ?

Please if someone can help to fill in the blanks,
that will be great.