[Insight-developers] Re: ImageAdaptors, PixelAccessors and Neighborhood iterators

Joshua Cates cates at sci . utah . edu
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:13:05 -0700 (MST)

Hi Luis,

I agree it would be nice to support adaptors with the neighborhood
filters.  But we should be very careful since these are significant
changes to code used by a large percentage of the toolkit filters
(nonlinear diffusion, level-sets, convolution, some deformable
registration, and assorted image processing).

I propose we first run extensive benchmarks (3D, large volumes, multiple
platforms) on all the relevant code to make sure adaptor support does not
introduce an unacceptable performance penalty.  It would be nice to have
these baselines anyway. If the increased complexity is optimized out in
the common case, then we may be ok.

This would be a good topic for the TCON.  I'd like to hear other
developers opinions on these sorts of speed/convenience tradeoffs, i.e.
how much performance hit is acceptable to folks in cases like this.

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
 University of Utah
 Email: cates at sci . utah . edu
 Phone: (801) 587-7697