[Insight-developers] Inverse transforms

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc . edu
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:41:54 -0500

Hi,

1) ITK registration actually returns a transform from the fixed image to
the moving image
2) ITK resample image filter expects a transform from the fixed image to
the moving image
3) No model-to-image registration process is easily implemented using a
fixed-to-moving image transform - the model drives where in the fixed
image the fit should be calculated.   So, all spatial-object-to-image
transforms, the landmark-landmark registration stuff we are doing, and
the ICP method we are implementing apply the transform to the moving
model/points to quantify their match with the fixed image/points.
Therefore we have to pass the Inverse transform to the resample image
filter for them.

We have the landmark initialized MI registration app that must

1) register using landmarks
2) resample the image using the inverse of that transform
3) invert the transform to initialize the MI registration process
4) resmaple the image using the non-inverse of that transform

This is really inconsistent.   Can be documented by saying most
image-image transforms are fixed to moving transforms and all spatial
object transforms are moving to fixed.   I say most image-image
transforms since we are writing one that internally calculates features
and landmarks from the moving image to drive the registration with the
fixed image.

I consider this a huge flaw with no easy answer - I understand why the
resampling is driven by the fixed image.   However, couldn't the
resampling take the inverse and all of the rest be done in the correct
way: tranaform maps moving to fixed?

Stephen

Dr. Stephen R. Aylward
Associate Professor of Radiology
Adjunct Associate Professor of Computer Science and Surgery
http://caddlab . rad . unc . edu
aylward at unc . edu
(919) 966-9695