[Insight-developers] ICP patent thoughts

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 4 11:39:17 EDT 2004

I agree with your suggestion of using a more robust measure
for the points. In fact, that will result in an improvement
for the performance of the algorithm, since during the initial
iterations of ICP, almost all the correspondances are wrong.
Meaning that the closest point *are not* the appropriate corres-
ponding points, at least not at the beginning of a typical
registration.

Using something like the mean distance from the K closest points
could be as arbirarly good as using the distance to the closest
point.

Just for the record, The current metric is (by default) returning a
*vector* with the *squares* of the distances between the points.
Technically, this is like minimizing the Sum of distances^4 between
the points. Julien did this in order to speed up the metric computation
since it avoids the sqrt() computation. The flag "ComputeSquareDistance"
forces the Metric to compute a vector of Euclidean distances.

   Luis