[Insight-developers] ICC 8.0 & Wrapping problems?

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Tue Oct 5 15:32:40 EDT 2004

I tried building Brains2 today with the Intel C Compiler, which includes
building ITK and TCL Wrapping with CableSwig.  This is with the current
CVS ITK and the 1.8.0 CableSwig.

The ITK Libraries all build, and CableSwig builds, but CableSwig fails
trying to process the first wrapping file:

/scratch/kent/brains2/iplFreeware/icc/P4/Insight-build/Wrapping/CSwig/VXLNumerics:
building default_target
Building wrap_vnl_matrix.xml from
/scratch/kent/brains2/iplFreeware/icc/P4/Insight-build/Wrapping/CSwig/VXLNumerics/wrap_vnl_matrix.xml...
gccxml_cc1plus: error: unrecognized option `--gccxml-gcc-options'
gccxml_cc1plus: error: too many filenames given.  Type gccxml_cc1plus
--help
   for usage
make[5]: ***
[/scratch/kent/brains2/iplFreeware/icc/P4/Insight-build/Wrapping/CSwig/VXLNumerics/wrap_vnl_matrix.xml]
Error 1

This is a headscratcher for me -- it looks like the gccxml that got
built is misconfigured or something. We generally try and use ICC-built
brains2 in departmental installations because it's twice as fast as the
GCC-built brains2.

Anyone else try and build ITK with Wrapping using ICC? On pure-Intel
platforms it would be a big performance win for ITK, as ITK agressively
converts inner loops into SSE vector operations.