[Insight-developers] ITK Procedure for Contributing New Classes and Algorithms : Wiki Page

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Fri Dec 2 16:27:51 EST 2005

Hi Luis,

It's a good thing to clarify the contribution process.

The following comments are mainly from my recent small contributions, and from
the upcoming bigger ones

It would be nice to have some more information:
+ will the data be included in ITK tests, can it be reused by anybody, etc
+ what is the maximum size of the data
+ the contributor should do performance measures (for algorithm enhancement),
so there should be somewhere something to tell him how it can be done in ITK
+ there should be a page were we can find all intentions to produce some code
to have an idea of what will be done and avoid coding twice the same things
Something like http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu/itkProjects/ would be great
+ you should propose some sections for the paper to guide the beginners
+ add a link to ImageCompare (the best solution would be to install it with
ITK IMHO)
+ you should give to the user what will be checked in his code, or the things
he should take care about, so he can know if what he have done is nice or
not. For example:
 - a filter should update its progress
 - the code should respect the ITK coding policy
 - a filter should not segfault with default parameters or non initialized
input (I think there is some work to do about that in ITK) but rather send an
exception
 - the test should give a good code coverage (it's already in the text, but
not how to get the coverage)
 - the doc should work with doxygen
 - ...
+ you should advice the contributor to profile its code

For the paper, the latex template proposed is too small to easily post c++
code, especially with ITK which have very long names.

I have modified the template to make more easier small submissions, like the
ones I have done some days ago: it allow to quickly create a submission with
the code, the test and the paper, and the changes are not a problem for
bigger submissions. I have also included a template c++ file (check.cxx) to
test a new filter. It also build the pdf file while building the tar.gz
archive, but that's only for darcs users :-)
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk/template/
Feel free to take what you may find nice

Hope it helps

Gaetan