[Insight-developers] MRF and initial labeling

Sayan Pathak SayanP at alleninstitute.org
Mon Jun 27 15:09:59 EDT 2005

Hi Jim/Luis,

Sorry for the delayed response.
Regarding the labeled image not being passed to the MRF filter from a
public interface is a great observation. I think there is a room for
improvement there. I am hoping to spare some time during July/Aug to do
some necessary upgrades to the MRF filter that seems to be increasingly
gaining attention.

The labelimage is currently derived from the classifier as an automatic
initialization. This is done in line 529 in the itkMRFImageFilter.txx.
This is however not necessary if the user wants a different
initialization. I think a function that allows the user to directly set
the initial label image is a trivial fix. However, there are some issues
such as the images that the user sets must have the same number of
classes as the classifier (set by the user), this needs to be checked at
runtime, if the check fails what do we do. There is also issue of
including additional optimizers such as Graph Cuts that the Gee group is
currently working. Hopefully we can make a seamless connectivity to the
graph cuts methods with this filter.

I think these upgrades are much needed and may be collected as
requirements on the wiki page. Thougths? Opinions? I was thinking of
starting next month on improving this filter as I believe in its
potential.

Regarding the namespace issue, I am ambivalent. In early discussions it
was decided that since the filter works in the image space it came under
itk namespace much like the itkImageClassifier class hierarchy.

-Sayan