[Insight-developers] Spatial Orientation and DICOM

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Mar 2 16:49:40 EST 2005

Hello,

	A few weeks ago Kent Williams proposed a patch for the itkGDCMImageIO
that would allow passing the Spatial Orientation to ITK. After
discussion I would rather see this patch being done at the gdcm level,
at least for dealing with DICOM 'exceptions' (DICOM v3 vs ACR-NEMA for
example).

	Anyway I included the patch -basicalle Kent's one-. It will enhance
gdcm and give the gdcm::File a new method(*):

void File::GetSpacialOrientation(SpacialOrientation terms[3])

	Where each terms can contains any of the following:

enum SpacialOrientation {
    CoordinateInvalid,
    CoordinateRight,
    CoordinateLeft,
    CoordinatePosterior,    // back
    CoordinateAnterior,     // front
    CoordinateInferior,     // below
    CoordinateSuperior      // above
};

	Then from ITK level you only need to call this method and change from
gdcm::SpacialOrientation to itk::SpatialOrientation.

Let me know what you think,
Mathieu
(*) It reuses the method
void File::GetImageOrientationPatient( float iop[6]
to retrieve the cosines from DICOM file.