[Insight-developers] Re: MetaImage magic?

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Fri Mar 4 07:28:03 EST 2005

Hi,

I guess I really don't know why we need another file reader if it offers
no new capabilities, and as you admit, duplicates much of the syntax and
capabilities of an existing format.  Put another way, what is the value
added by nrrd and why should it read the metaObject format?   I truly
question the purpose of the nrrd format.  I really don't support any
further duplication of metaimage in it.  I don't think you are making a
contribution to the field.

Stephen

Gordon Kindlmann wrote:
> hello fellow Siggraph course participant,
>
> I recently met Luis Ibanez at the NAMIC meeting in Salt Lake, but I
> don't believe we've met yet.  I look forward to preparing the course
> with you and Luis in the coming months.
>
> Tonight I was procrastinating and wondering how hard it would be to
> teach my nrrd software to read the MetaImage format.  My initial
> question is about "magic"- the stuff at the very beginning of the file
> to help identify it as one file type or another.
>
> If someone has stored an image (and only one image) in a meta file, can
> I count on
>
>   ObjectType = Image
>
> being the first line of the file?
>
> As you may know, I've shamelessly copied some aspects of the meta format
> into nrrd, such as the idea of "byteskip = -1", as well as the syntax
> for having one header refer to multiple separate datafiles.  Here's the
> latest version of the format spec:
> http://teem.sourceforge.net/nrrd/format.html
>
> best,
> Gordon

Dr. Stephen R. Aylward
Associate Professor of Radiology
Adjunct Associate Professor of Computer Science and Surgery
http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu
aylward at unc.edu
(919) 966-9695