[Insight-developers] Centered Transforms

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Wed Mar 9 17:52:12 EST 2005

I struggled a bit with this...I welcome any suggestions....

Here's the story...

Transforms have public member functions SetOffset, SetCenter, etc.
These functions do more than set the corresponding private member variable.

However, derived classes need to be able to change the private member
variable without doing the other stuff that is being done in SetOffset
and SetCenter.

So, I made the protected functions Set_M_Offset, Set_M_Center - to
change the m_Variable without doing the other stuff.   I know the naming
convention isn't 100% standard, but since it is a protected member
function, I felt that calling it Set_M_Center provided clarity when a
SetCenter was already present, and as a protected function, the users
wouldn't see this inconsistency (it is kind of a variable-name
consistency even if it is a function name inconsistency).   Yup...I bet
there is a better option....

Also, I thought that we had decided to use protected member functions in
ITK to get/set private variables, and to not use "this->m_Variable".  Of
course, it now seems like there are some speed issues in gcc3.3 when
using such a function call.   Again,  I am open to suggestions....

Also, I tried very hard to keep the API consistent - all of our
external-to-itk code that heavily uses ITK still compiled and ran
without modification using the changes I just made to ITK.   Also, all
of the tests ran without modification (except where some had bugs in
them).   Please let me know if I have missed something.

Thanks for your patience with these changes.  If you look at the
transform classes, I hope you will find that they are greatly
simplified, have consistent concepts, and actually work :)  We should
also have better testing coverage...

Thanks,
Stephen

Lorensen, William E (Research) wrote:
> Stephen,
> I noticed in the new code in MatrixOffsetTransformBase, there there are nethod like:
> Set_M_Offset, Set_M_Translate, ...
>
> This naming is not consistent with itk style. Did you mean
> SetOffset, SetTranslate, ... ?
>
> Bill

Dr. Stephen R. Aylward
Associate Professor of Radiology
Adjunct Associate Professor of Computer Science and Surgery
http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu
aylward at unc.edu
(919) 966-9695