[Insight-developers] Image Orientation Progress

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Thu Mar 10 10:35:16 EST 2005

Folks,
An update on adding orientation to itkImage. These changes are only in my local checkout.

I have added m_Direction to itkImageBase. m_Direction is an nxn itkMatrix, holding the direction cosines of each axis.

I have changed itkGDCMImageIO to populate the direction cosines for the row and column and compute the cross product of the row/column to produce a 3rd direction cosine.

I have changed itkImageFileReader to handle the direction cosines.

I ran one experiment to read a DICOM image and compute the Image Position Patient for the next image in the series using the direction cosines and spacing. This seems to work reliably for the CT and MR images that I have tried. These test included non-identity direction cosines.

When I get back next week, I may check in these changes as a first step towards the solution.

Remember to keep the comments coming into the Wiki at:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation

Bill