[Insight-developers] Image Orientation Progress(2)

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd.ge.com
Sat Mar 12 15:32:04 EST 2005

Folks,
Some more progress on the image orientation upgrade.

I have been worried about performance of the PhysicalPointToIndex and other related transformations in itkImage. I have created a subclass of image called itkOrientedImage that uses the direction cosines to convert between physical space and vice versa. itkImageBase still keeps the direction cosines but does not use them for conversion between physical and index spaces. The only perfomance hit for Imnage may come from making the transformation methods virtual.

(I know Stephen, this is deja vu all over again when we first did image.)

This compromise will permit applications to treat the orientation if desired while allowing other apps to trade-off performance if all images are of the same ilk.

I am still doing this in my local checkout. I'd appreciate comments.

Bill