[Insight-developers] question regarding direction cosines

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 8 18:11:22 EST 2005

Direction Matrix is NxN where N is the number of dimensions in the
image.  In general, only the first 3 directions have any spatial
meaning, and 3D images are the most common by far.

I'd suggest setting the direction matrix to identity, and then filling
in the X,Y,Z (0,1,2) columns with the direction cosines representing the
3D orientation -- basically the upper left 3x3 of the matrix.  Anyone
else have a suggestion?