[Insight-developers] Problems with GCC4 and Profiling

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Nov 16 12:09:18 EST 2005

In building brains2, we're hitting this error trying to do profile builds:

/usr/bin/ld: .libs/gts2oogl: hidden symbol `__gcov_init' in
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.0.1/libgcov.a(_gcov.o) is referenced by DSO
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output

This happens to not be ITK, but this is a problem in general in trying
to build for profiling.  There's no information on fixing this problem
that I can find with Google, but I think anyone who tries profiling with
late-model GCC on linux is going to hit this problem.

If any of you all have run into this and solved it, please let me know.
Thanks!