[Insight-developers] Active shape models

Martin Styner martin_styner at ieee.org
Mon Oct 10 09:19:32 EDT 2005

Hi Tobias
Just for clarification, the patent that Luis was talking about is in
regard to Active Shape Models and does not overlap with your
automatic correspondence algorithm. Also, the Manchester group has
been very open in regard to the ASM patent and academia. But one has
to consult them before using ASM in any commercial product.
Btw, the method that was mentioned by Luis is for a set of
distinctive landmarks and is optimal for unstructured pointset (small
number of disconnected landmarks), whereas  the method Tobias is
referring to is great for surface meshes of spherical topology. I
myself will be submitting classes for an automatic correspondence
method (SPHARM correspondence for surface meshes, see also
http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Progress_Report:Shape_Analysis )
to the Insight Journal and will use the same base-classes as Tobias
does.
Best regards
Martin

On Oct 10, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Tobias Heimann wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I've written filters for automatic correspondence finding in 3D
> using a variant of the MDL method. I'll submit all classes to the
> Insight Journal in the near future, but before doing this I need to
> clarify if and how I might infringe the patents that Luis was
> talking about. Let's hope for the best!
>
> Best regards,
> Tobias
>

> Luis Ibanez wrote:
>

>> Hi Alex,
>>

>> First of all, be aware that some forms of the Active Shape Models are
>> patented, so you may be infringing a patent by using those
>> algorithms.
>>
>> Patenting algorithms, is in practice the most effective way of making
>> sure that they are *NOT* useful for research.
>>
>> Note also, that Universities are not exempt from the obligations
>> imposed by a patent:
>>
>>    http://www.ladas.com/BULLETINS/2003/MadeyDukeUniversity.html
>>

>> ---
>>
>> That being said,...
>>
>> You will find a project for automatic identification of Landmarks
>> that
>> is under development as part of the efforts of NAMIC. A
>> description of
>> the project is available in the NAMIC Wiki
>>
>> http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Engineering:
>> 2005_Programming_Week_Results
>>
>> more specifically at
>> http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/images/6/67/SlideBlloydnew.ppt
>>
>> The source code is available at the NAMIC repository:
>>
>>     http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Engineering:SandBox
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>>    Luis
>>

>> ----------------
>> sanders s wrote:
>>

>>> Hi:
>>>   I'm writing a program based on the active shape model [tim
>>> cootes], I was wondering if anyone had worked on automatic
>>> landmark placement and had any suggestions, the applications this
>>> is designed for is MRI head contour detection. If anyone can led
>>> a hand I'd be grateful
>>>  thank you all
>>>  Alex

> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Med. Tobias Heimann
> Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum         (German Cancer Research
> Center)
> Div. Medical and Biological Informatics B010      Tel: (+49)
> 6221-423548
> Im Neuenheimer Feld 280                           Fax: (+49)
> 6221-422345
> D-69120 Heidelberg                              email:
> T.Heimann at dkfz.de
> Germany                       http://www.dkfz.de/mbi/people/
> tobiash.html

Martin Styner, PhD. Eng. ETH
Research Assistant Professor
Neurodevelopmental Disorders Research Center
Departments of Computer Science and Psychiatry
CB 3175, Sitterson Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175
Tel CS: 919 962 1909
Cell:   919 260 6674