[Insight-developers] Classifier woes

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Fri Oct 21 11:39:44 EDT 2005

I was just experimenting with some pixel classifiers in ITK.

I had a program that I had written a few years ago that built up a decision rule and set it on an ImageClassifierBase and passed that ImageClassifierBase to the MRF filter.  This works fine.

Now I just wanted to run a pixel classifier without running the MRF filter.  So I was looking for a filter that would just run through all
the pixels in an image and apply a decision rule to each pixel.

The first filter I found was BayesianClassifierImageFilter.  This sounded perfect.  However, this filter assumes the membership functions are Gaussian and has no means to set a prior.  The filter takes membership functions as opposed to a decision rule.  Most troubling, however, is that this filter doesn't actuall do anything.  The GenerateData() method simply iterates over the input pixels.  It doesn't evaluate anything or set any output pixels.

So I looked at ImageClassifierBase.  I was already giving one of these to the MRF filter.  ImageClassifierBase has a GenerateData() method.  ImageClassifierBase, however, does not have the standard SetInput()/GetOutput() methods.  Instead, it uses SetInputImage()/GetClassifiedImage().  So it unclear to the user that they could use ImageClassifierBase as an ImageToImageFilter.  Along those line, ImageClassifierBase is not named like an ImageToImageFilter (in particular, it does not end in ImageFilter).

Do we have any ImageToImageFilters that you can give a decision rule to and it will classify each pixel?

Jim Miller
Visualization & Computer Vision
GE Research
Bldg. KW, Room C223
1 Research Circle, Schenectady NY 12309-1027

millerjv at research.ge.com <mailto:millerjv at research.ge.com>
(518) 387-4005, Dial Comm: 8*833-4005
Cell: (518) 505-7065, Fax: (518) 387-6981