[Insight-developers] Proposal:

Hans Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Fri Sep 9 17:56:26 EDT 2005

All,

Here is a proposal:  Make version 2.2 of ITK be the last version that Visual
Studio 6 is supported.  In particular, the next version of ITK should only
be supported on platforms that support partial template specialization.
There are places were partial template specialization would allow easier
implementations code to help efficiency, specialization by incorporating
alternate implementations, and greatly Concept checking.

Removing support for compilers has been a discussion that keeps getting
pushed off.  I would suggest that the October meeting, and the T-Cons
between now and then would be a great time to start discussing this.

Hans

PS:  Just my 2cents, but there are other options on the windows platform.  I
think that it is reasonable that new versions of ITK require new versions of
a compiler.