[Insight-developers] VXL link errors in GCC 2.95 in Release mode

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Sep 24 18:30:35 EDT 2005

Hi Brad,

At the ITK tcon we were discussing about the link
errors in vnl-test-algo that appear only in gcc 2.95
in releasee mode.

We looked at this problem with Bill Hoffman and found
that the tests use locally defined classes "F" inside
static functions.  It seems that the optimizer decides
that such classes don't need to be compiled, and therefore
misses them at link time.

Bill found that by renaming the classes and taking them
out of the static functions, we could solve the link
problem.

Those changes were just committed in the file:

Insight/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/algo/test/test_algo.cxx
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/algo/tests/test_algo.cxx?rev=1.3&root=Insight&sortby=date&view=log

The diff is at
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/vxl/core/vnl/algo/tests/test_algo.cxx?root=Insight&sortby=date&r2=1.3&r1=1.2

Could you please check if those same changes should be
contributed back to VXL ?

or if maybe there is another way of solving these link errors ?