[Insight-developers] GDCM: Update to gdcm 1.2.2

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Mon Jul 10 16:15:27 EDT 2006

Hello,

    I have updated gdcm to the latest for the 1.2 branch. It now
contains code to store DICOM dataset as JPEG Lossless or JPEG 2000 Lossless.
    All I need to do now is plug it into ITK. Right now the API would
look like (two steps process):

   // Explicitely specify which compression type to use
   //gdcmIO->SetCompressionType(itk::GDCMImageIO::JPEG);
   gdcmIO->SetCompressionType(itk::GDCMImageIO::JPEG2000);

   WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();
   writer->SetImageIO(dicomIO);
   writer->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());
   writer->SetFileName(output);
   // Request compression of the ImageIO
   writer->UseCompressionOn();
   writer->Update();

Comments welcome,
Mathieu

As a side note:
http://www.dclunie.com/papers/spie_mi_2002_compression.pdf

"DICOM does not, and will never, "approve" compression schemes for any
particular use. .... Just because its in DICOM doesn't mean it is any
good and just because it is not doesn't mean it isn't."

http://www.dclunie.com/papers/digitalmammoissues.pdf

"Bottom line: So cheap that avoiding storing for processing or lossy
compressing is almost absurd."