[Insight-developers] ITK 2.6 Release: Delay : Copyright : BCP : Review Directory

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Mar 1 17:09:47 EST 2006

The ITK 2.6 release has been delayed due to some difficulties
with the copyright status of new code contributed by authors
through the Insight Journal.

In the interest of untangling the situation, it has been proposed
that we add to the CVS source tree of ITK a "neutral zone" directory
that will be exempt of both the Copyright ISC policy and the Backward
Compatibility Policy (BCP).

The current proposal is to create the following new directories:

               Insight/Code/Review

               Insight/Testing/Code/Review

Source code taken from contributions posted to the Insight Journal
will be committed in these two directories, and in this way it will
be tested in multiple platforms at the same time that developers
have a chance to evaluate and review the code in a public and more
efficient way.

Code committed in this directory will not stay there for more than
one release cycle. As a result of the evaluation of the code in this
directory, the files will be moved to a final destination inside the
toolkit or they will be rejected and removed from the Review directory.

We hope that this mechanism will provide a reasonable compromise
between our commitment to the BCP, the Copyright policy and the
methodology of Extreme Programming.

Please let us know if you see any drawback in this approach, or
if you have any suggestions for making it better.

We plan to have a solution implemented by the end of the week so
we can proceed with the release process.