[Insight-developers] connected component labelling, object statistics and spatial objects

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 00:24:48 EST 2006

Hi Everyone,

I recently wrote an optimized connected component labeller that
employs a run length encoding scheme. I was toying with the idea of
using this representation of blobs to build tools for both measurement
of binary shape statistics (area and so on), as well as making area
based greyscale measurements (like the LabelStatisticsImageFilter).
The combinations of these two types of measurements are very powerful
for a variety of reasons, and building them on a run length encoded
representation tends to lead to a memory efficient representation.

Any, I was wondering whether SpatialObjects are the correct place to
include such a representation. It seems to me that it could be a
special version of the blob spatial object. So is this a sensible way
to go? Is there a better place to include this functionality? All
suggestions welcome.