[Insight-developers] fast marching and paths

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Nov 13 09:03:53 EST 2006

Hi Richard,

There is no direct support right now for extracting paths, but here are
two options that come to mind for implementing this functionality:

   1) Intercept the update process of FastMarching in lines 510-520 or
      the file Insight/Code/Algorithms/itkFastMarchingImageFilter.txx.
      This is reasonable if you want to track the evolution of a couple
      of points in the front.

OR

   2) Let FastMarching run, and then take the gradient (vector field)
      of the time-crossing map at the end of the filter's execution.
      In this context you could use a similar approach to what is
      currently used for fiber tracking.  In particular, VTK has a
      couple of filters that will help with generating stream lines
      out of vector fields.