[Insight-developers] Re: ITK 3.0 : WrapITK : Status

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Oct 26 14:19:08 EDT 2006

Hi Luis,

Le Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:24:32 +0200, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>
a écrit:

> Hi Gaetan,
>

>   We are cutting ITK 3.0 to be released on Tuesday.
>

> Tomorrow we are freezing the CVS repository and will
> have to clean up the dashboard between Friday and Monday.
>

> The current status of WrapITK as reported in the
> Dashboard is the following:
>
> 1) Not building in gcc 2.95: problems with complex
> 2) Not building in gcc 3.3 with Explicit Instantiation
> 3) Not building in Windows for Java
> 3) Python tests in Windows are failing (seg faulting)
>

> For the sake of proceeding with the release, we are
> disabling WrapITK, and enabling the previous wrapping
> system.
>
> We will move WrapITK to the advanced options and label
> it as an experimental system.
>
> WrapITK will be offered as an option for those users
> who want to experiment with it.  After the release
> is complete, we can restart trying to get it to work
> in all the platforms that we are required to support.
>

> Please let us know if you have any questions or
> concerns,

No concern - I'm fine with that

However, I think nobody is satisfied about how WrapITK is getting
integrated in ITK, so if you agree, I'd like to plan a real effort to make
it work on as much plateforms as possible. It is clearly something I can't
do alone, for a very simple reason: I don't have all the configurations
required, and I'm not familiar with the more problematic compilers.
I think this task would require less work than communication effort to
avoid breaking one thing while trying to fix another thing.

Who can be really implied in this task ? This mean try to build, try to
fix, discuss the possible solutions, and share the work if it is too long
(I fear it will be the case to fix the long names with java). It shouldn't
be a full time job, as WrapITK is quite long to build, but I think it's
important to have an as good reactivity as possible.

What do you think of trying to do that on Novenber 6 and in the following
days ?

Thanks,

Gaetan

PS: can you give me a link to the segfaulting build, with python in
windows ?

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)