[Insight-developers] Re: cableswig and gcc 4.2

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Aug 29 09:56:15 EDT 2007

Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
> I'm currently getting an error while trying to build itk wrappers with
> gcc 4.2.1, with cableswig 3.2.0 and cableswig cvs. I suspect that gccxml
> does not support gcc 4.2 yet.
> Can you tell me if it is supposed to work with that compiler ?

No, support for 4.2 has not been implemented.  I just took a quick look
at doing so.  Unfortunately it looks like a non-trivial task.  Unlike
previous versions GCC 4.2's standard library comes with a whole bunch of
gnu extensions in its code (placement of __attribte__ calls where GCC
3.3 does not support).  In order to support it we will either have to
put hacked-up copies of every header from GCC 4.2 in gccxml (instead of
just a few), or update gccxml to use the GCC 4.2 parser internally.  The
latter will then require updating the support headers for all the other
compilers to be compatible with the newer parser.

I can put this on a todo list but I do not know when I can get to it.

-Brad