[Insight-developers] Re: Renaming classes

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Jan 22 16:53:12 EST 2007

Le Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:49:30 +0100, Andinet Enquobahrie
<andinet.enqu at kitware.com> a écrit:

> Gaetan,
>
> I would like to propose renaming the following projection filters that
> were recently added to the
> Review directory from the Insight Journal contribution. The purpose is
> to clarify their functionality
>
> 1) itkSigmaProjectionImageFilter ->
> itkStandardDeviationProjectionImageFilter
>
> Standard deviation is a more generic term than Sigma.  Sigma represents
> typically standard deviation for
> a Gaussian distribution.

I think that sigma is used several times in ITK - perhaps the term
standard deviation should be there too.
StandardDeviationProjectionImageFilter is fine for me

> 2) itkBinaryProjectionImageFilter
>
> This filter basically searches for a pixel with value equal to the
> foreground value along the
> projection direction and set the corresponding output pixel to
> foreground or background
> value accordingly. The term "Binary" does not express this notion.
> Possible names that
> come to mind are
>
> itkFindProjectionImageFilter
> itkFindValueProjectionImageFilter
>
> Furthermore, I am planning to add a
>
>  itkBinaryThresholdProjectionImageFilter
>
> which basically searchs for a pixel with intensity value greater than a
> threshold value along the projection
> direction.

I'd like to keep the Binary prefix: the filter manipulate a binary image
and produce a binary image. See the naming convention proposed here
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Consistent_usage_of_label_and_binary_images
.
I think that BinaryProjectionImageFilter is clear enough, but I can't be
fully objective: I have chosen the name :-)

Perhaps BinaryFindProjectionImageFilter ?

Gaetan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)