[Insight-developers] Re: Dashboard

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Jan 31 10:43:36 EST 2007

On the other hand, after investigating the history a little bit more, I have
some questions and comments:

Question:
Julien, did this compile on your machine at the time you committed these
changes? It looks to me like it compiles literally *nowhere* based on the
nightly results. If it did compile for you, then this is truly a mystery...
if not, then, tsk tsk -- always compile before committing.

Comment:
6:39 pm eastern time is too late to commit code changes to the ITK code
base. Most of the continuous dashboards stop building/submitting around 6pm
eastern (they typically start around 6am eastern and run for 12 hours...)

Question for all of you ITK developers:
Is 3pm eastern time a reasonable guideline for "last allowed commit time
before the nightly start time"? That would give the continuous dashboards
plenty of time to do their thing and notify folks by email of any problems
with their commits. Then there would still be a chance to commit a fix for a
problem prior to the nightly runs.

There is *no* reason why you can't hold off on a commit until the following
day. You can get all your changes ready to go and then, if it's too late in
the day, simply wait until the next morning to do the commit. Or at least
until after the nightly start time.

I will add a page to the ITK Wiki that contains some "cvs commit guidelines"
for ITK developers. I did this for VTK a while back, including the
recommendation *not* to commit past noon eastern time, and it's had more
than 1500 hits in the last 3 months. And people are largely following the
guideline lately. (And it's just a guideline. It won't be mechanically
enforced -- just make sure you really have a good reason to violate it if
you do.)

Comments? Does anybody strongly object to a "3pm eastern commit time"
guideline?

David Cole
Kitware, Inc.