[Insight-developers] So... What platforms DON'T have stdint? (WAS discussion of 64bit niftilib lossage)

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Jul 24 14:22:28 EDT 2007

On 7/24/07 1:07 PM, kent williams said:

>So... Two questions in the manner of a quick survey:  What platforms have
>stdint.h?  What platforms (amongst the ITK-supported platforms) do NOT?

Visual Studio, according to:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stdint.h#Downloads>

But there are supposedly 3rd party stdint.h's that can be used in that case.

>Is it really the case that structure alignment is so undependable that it's
>necessary to read and write headers a field at a time?

struct alignment is largely up to the compiler.  Most compilers provide
#pragmas or other methods of forcing an alignment.  I also recommend reading:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_structure_alignment>

Reading one field at a time can be a performance problem, especially if
each read generates new disk activity.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com