[Insight-developers] So... What platforms DON'T have stdint? (WAS discussion of 64bit niftilib lossage)

Blezek, Daniel J (GE, Research) blezek at crd.ge.com
Tue Jul 24 14:30:33 EDT 2007

Hi Kent,

kent williams wrote:

> Is it really the case that structure alignment is so undependable
> that it's necessary to read and write headers a field at a time?

This is a resounding yes.  This assumption cost me 2 days worth of work
in April.  Java has a nice class that memory maps a file and allows you
to read a short, char, float, etc at any byte offset.  Makes reading
headers a snap with no extra IO overhead.

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/nio/ByteBuffer.html

-dan