[Insight-developers] NIfTI and Analyze 64-bit lossage

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Jul 30 11:13:01 EDT 2007

On 7/25/07 9:17 AM, kent williams said:

>The problem, with both NIfTI and Analyze is that the file format -- and the
>code used to read and write them, are grounded in a 1991, 32-Bit-Only
>mindset.

Kent,

BTW, I don't know which compiler you use, but if you use gcc, you might
want to take a look at the following warning options:

-Wpadded
Warn if padding is included in a structure, either to align an element
of the structure or to align the whole structure. Sometimes when this
happens it is possible to rearrange the fields of the structure to
reduce the padding and so make the structure smaller.

-Wpacked
Warn if a structure is given the packed attribute, but the packed
attribute has no effect on the layout or size of the structure. Such
structures may be mis-aligned for little benefit. For instance, in this
code, the variable "f.x" in "struct bar" will be misaligned even though
"struct bar" does not itself have the packed attribute:

They can be illuminating.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com