[Insight-developers] Re: Meta data dictionary passing through the ITK pipeline

Douglas Alan douglas_alan at harvard.edu
Tue May 15 19:24:00 EDT 2007

I'm resending the following email to <insight-developers at itk.org>.  It
got bounced back to me because I wasn't on the mailing list until just
now.

   From:    Douglas Alan <douglas_alan at harvard.edu>
   To:      Michael Halle <mhalle at bwh.harvard.edu>
   Cc:      "Miller, James V (GE, Research)" <millerjv at crd.ge.com>,
	    Hans Johnson <hans-johnson at uiowa.edu>,
	    ITK <insight-developers at itk.org>,
	    Steve Pieper <pieper at bwh.harvard.edu>
   Date:    Tue, 15 May 2007 17:57:56 EDT
   Subject: Re: Meta data dictionary passing through the ITK pipeline

   Michael Halle <mhalle at bwh.harvard.edu> wrote:

   > It it turns out you want to do something less than pass everything,
   > you might want a mechanism for filters to choose "pass all metadata
   > fields" (default), "block all fields", "pass these specific fields"
   > "block these specific fields", or "let me modify these specific
   > fields".

   These sound like good ideas for a fully general solution.  Except that I
   think I'd *also* like a way to specify that I want certain metadata
   fields to be passed untouched through any filters no matter what a
   specific filter might think about my request, and despite any "block all
   fields" settings.  I.e., I want the irresistible force to defeat the
   immovable object.  And, at least for my immediate purposes, this
   "irresistible force" capability is all that I really need.

   I'm certainly not adverse to addressing the more general issues at the
   same time, though, since it might make good sense to do so.