[Insight-developers] My Dashboard Compile Errors and assert()'s

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 14:08:33 EDT 2008

Gaetan,

You may have noticed some errors in your Review directory code today.
I had attempted to remove some warnings from the Borland build about
unused parameters. Unfortunately, I was a bit careless, not noticing
that there were asserts()'s that used these parameters. Since all of
my builds are non-debug builds, I didn't notice the errors. As you
probably saw, I have checked in fixes.

This does bring up a question about the use of assert()'s in ITK code.
I'm not a fan of using assert()'s since, I believe, after reporting
the error, they abort the program. Indeed they are only active for
debug builds, so there may be some justification.

Question to itk developers: Should we allow (encourage) assert()'s in
itk? There are 205 assert()'s in itk Code/. Of these, 194 are in
Review. That means 11 are in released itk code.

Bill