[Insight-developers] ITK 3.8 compiling issue on Solaris

Attila Nagy nagy.attila at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 17:30:36 EDT 2008

Hi all,

as some of you might know (who subscribe to slicer-devel as well), I try to port Slicer (back) to Solaris (a least to x86).
A few days ago, Slicer3 trunk switched to ITK 3.8, and I'm hitting this bug:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do;jsessionid=fd449172296fd18c87b163eac100?bug_id=6581777
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6619485

basically this means, that we must tell the linker to search for libs in /lib too, not just in/usr/lib, and so on.
I searched the Insight dashboard, and have found no indication of this error.
Here is my output:

[snip]

Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libITKIO.so
[ 96%] Built target ITKIO
Scanning dependencies of target itkTestDriver
Scanning dependencies of target ITKIOReview
[ 96%] [ 96%] Building CXX object Code/IO/CMakeFiles/itkTestDriver.dir/itkTestDriver.o
Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/ITKIOReview.dir/itkBruker2DSEQImageIO.o
[ 96%] Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/ITKIOReview.dir/itkBruker2DSEQImageIOFactory.o
[ 96%] Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/ITKIOReview.dir/itkPhilipsRECImageIO.o
[ 96%] Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/ITKIOReview.dir/itkPhilipsRECImageIOFactory.o
[ 96%] Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/ITKIOReview.dir/itkPhilipsPAR.o
[build at slicer]logs/$tail  2008.08.10.V-20.09.29-experimental.log
ld: warning: file libdladm.so.1: required by /usr/lib/libuuid.so, not found
dladm_walk                          /usr/lib/libuuid.so
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ../../bin/itkTestDriver
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [bin/itkTestDriver] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [Code/IO/CMakeFiles/itkTestDriver.dir/all] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 96%] Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/ITKIOReview.dir/itkVoxBoCUBImageIO.o

[snip]
(Note that I built it with Sun's stock 3.4.3 gcc in /usr/sfw/bin, gmake -j2, on SXDE 1/08)

If you think it worths it, maybe this linker flag could be added to (at least) itkTestDriver's linker flags.
If not, I could try to add this in Slicer's genlib.tcl to ITK's cmake flags, but maybe others will hit this issue too. (To be honest I tried a few things in genlib.tcl, but can't seem to tell cmake to tell the linker to search for libdladm.so.1 in /lib)

What's your opinion?

Thanks,

Attila