[Insight-developers] Fix for shared lib versioning in Utilities/nifti

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Sun Aug 24 10:05:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

While creating Debian packages for ITK 3.8, I discovered that
libITKznz did not increase its version string: it is 1.0.0, the same
as was shipped in ITK 3.6.

For packaging, it is important that shared libraries have a different
version number at each release.  All the other libraries installed
from ITK sources are versioned according to the ITK version; i.e. they
use 3.8.0.  I've created a patch so that Utilities/nifti follows this
convention.  See http://www.gccxml.org/Bug/view.php?id=7530 I'd
appreciate feedback on the patch.

However, I note that the NIFTI libraries have an independent
existence: http://niftilib.sourceforge.net/ So I presume the first
step is to submit the patch there.

Then do we just wait for a new NIFTI release to get incorporated into
ITK, or should I go ahead and commit the patch to ITK itself?

Thanks,
-Steve