[Insight-developers] Unit tests - Smoothing difference between standard and diffeomorphic demons

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Thu Jul 17 07:46:56 EDT 2008

Hi Luis and Hans,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll try and comment below.

> I can see, however, how the final smoothing may be a problem,
> since it is an extra smoothing after the last version of the
> field has been computed.
>
> This raises the interesting point that probably a better
> behavior of the overall algorithm will be to perform progressively
> less and less smoothing as the iterations progress, under the
> assumption that the field is converging to a stable solution,
> and at that point, the smoothing, more than regularizing the
> solution is actually perturbing it.

I don't think that the final smoothing is perturbing the results.
Indeed the "quality" of the registration is a trade-off between the
image similarity and the field regularity. The test is only measuring
one of these metrics.

Concerning a progressive reduction of the smoothing, I think it is out
of the scope of this discussion and needs some research :)
Anyhow, it should at least be done in conjunction with a progressive
reduction of the update step length.