[Insight-developers] VNL_CONFIG_ENABLE_SSE2=ON: Matrix-Vector multiplication fails...

Hauke Heibel heibel at cs.tum.edu
Thu Jun 19 05:55:31 EDT 2008

Hi there,

I just saw some vnl tests failing on my machine and after looking into
it, it seems as if the multiplication fails. I assume that this has to
do with SSE2 being enabled since otherwise tons of user must have
stumbled over this issue.

Here are the tests (I ommited the ITK ones, since right now I assume
they depend on the VNL ones) that failed.

1>  35 - vnl_test_cholesky (Failed)
1>  44 - vnl_test_ldl_cholesky (Failed)
1>  49 - vnl_test_qr (Failed)
1>  61 - vnl_test_svd (Failed)
1>  91 - vnl_test_quaternion (SEGFAULT)

I looked into the first one and it fails in test_cholesky.cxx lines
40-47, where A*x = b is trying to be solved. I copied the random
generated values into Matlab and tried to verify the individual steps
and it looks as if line 43, b=A*x0 yields incorrect results. The
archive, I have attached gives also evidence for this. The actual
cholesky decomposition looks all right.

Any comments?

- Hauke

p.s. I am always confused, does it at all make sense to come here or
should I've gone right away to the Mantis system... ???

--
Tim Hauke Heibel
Computer Aided Medical Procedures (CAMP)