[Insight-developers] [Insight-users] ITK & VISUAL STUDIO 6.0 : How many users ?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue May 13 16:28:08 EDT 2008

Hi Bill,

A) Is VS 6.0 the only one that doesn't
    support partial specialization ?

My recollection is that at some point it was recommended
that if we dropped support for Visual Studio 6.0, we should
do it as well for VS 7.0 since it also have some weaknesses
on support for templated code.

        I humbly suggest a one-day experiment:

Let's commit to CVS an isolated small file that exercise
template partial specialization, and tomorrow we will have
an answer for the range of platforms that we support.

Yes, it will cost a day of red Dashboard,...  :-/

but if nothing depends on this file, then we will still get
all the test running for the normal submissions.

A less exciting option is to pass around a minimal example,
and we compile in our local machines, then report back to
the Wiki page:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Dropping_Support_for_Visual_Studio_6.0

B) Does VTK supports VS60 ?

    Yes, VTK is build Nightly on VS60 on Dash13.kitware.

    I see the point that it may be good to have a similar
    set of platforms for ITK and VTK.

    However,
    VTK's uses of generic programming is a lot lighther
    than ITK's, and therefor, supporting VS60 may not
    represent in VTK the same level of restriction that it
    is in ITK.

    Luis