[Insight-developers] Should default compile mode be Debug, Release or RelWithDebInfo?

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Thu Nov 6 11:34:19 EST 2008

Hi all,

It seems that many new ITK users find ITK slow. Part of this is of
course based on some truth, but in many cases it ends up by
"OK, I didn't know I had to compile in Release mode."

So I am wondering whether it wouldn't be easier if, by default, ITK
was build in Release mode (or maybe RelWithDebInfo).

Indeed, I would expect that people that need ITK in debug mode are
people that know how to use a debugger and hence can manage to find
the adequate CMake option to switch to Debug.

On the other hand newbies are less likely to know how to use a
debugger, won't tweak with CMake options and expect things to run
fast.

Any thoughts?

Tom