[Insight-developers] graph cut classes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 14 10:18:42 EST 2008

Hi Nick,

Posting the source code to the IJ will be great.

You may want to include in your IJ paper an upfront warning
(preferably in the abstract) indicating that some of the methods
implemented in the software may be covered by patents.

It will be up to the downloaders of the software to seek licenses
from the patent holders before they build binaries that use this code.

You may want to include a reminder indicating that "research use"
is not exempted from patent rights, and that therefore, a researcher
in a university must still seek a license from the patent holder
before it compiles this code.

The only exemption from patent restrictions is the use for:

     "...amusement, to satisfy idle curiosity,
      or for strictly philosophical inquiry".

For more details on how the decadence of the current patent system
obstruct the progress of science and technology:

   "Patent Failure"
   'How Judges, Bureaucrats, and Lawyers Put Innovators at Risk'
   http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/06/12/book-review-patent-failure/